By Joan Marlow —
“Attitude is a Little Thing that Makes a Big Difference.” Winston Churchill
“Once you Replace Negative Thoughts with Positive Ones, You’ll Start Having Positive Outcomes.” Willie Nelson
“The Only Person you are Destined to Become is the Person You Decide to Be.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
I’m chuckling to myself as I kick this blog off with the above quotes. I googled ‘contemporary quotes on positivity / attitude’ and what comes up: Winston Churchill, Willie Nelson and Ralph Waldo Emerson. Wouldn’t call them contemporaries, but their quotes on the power of attitude and positivity will always be tried and true.
If you check in with yourself on your attitude in this moment, what would you find your feelings / thoughts / sensations to be? Disappointed; bored; upset because of a school situation (unfair treatment, bullied, difficulty in keeping up); frustrated with feeling like you’re being held to a higher standard than your siblings; angry because a friend ‘ghosted’ you; pressured to the point that you just might lash out at the next person you come in contact with for no reason at all, except that you’re ‘in a bad mood?’
It’s time to ‘shake off’ that negativity and switch on positivity. Thinking and acting out of negativity doesn’t pay off. When you’re in a negative mood, you’re going to attract more negativity. Positive people are going to want to stay clear of you, opportunities to do things and create positive experiences aren’t going to come your way, and you are ultimately impacting your body (health and well-being) negatively.
When you’re ‘in this mood,’ you’re probably talking negative self-talk about yourself or someone else. The body is reacting to this negativity by turning off the ‘happy, feel-good’ hormones (dopamine and serotonin) and turning on the ‘stress, unhealthy’ hormones (adrenaline and cortisol). Your body ‘thinks’ you are actually being attacked and responds to protect you. Over time, this negative self-talk might very well cause physical ‘dis-ease,’ like a headache, a cold, sleeplessness or sleeping all the time, or exhaustion that might well get in the way of having a good time. And, what about the people in your life? Do they want to be around you if you’re in ‘one of those moods?’ Would you choose to be around you? You’ll notice your positive friends start wandering away and negative people start coming your way. It’s called the Law of Attraction; and it’s a real deal. Elements of the Law Include:
- Like attracts like.
- Thoughts attract corresponding situations and circumstances.
- You get what you think about.
- You attract into your life whatever you focus on.
- Positive thoughts attract positive events. Negative thoughts attract negative events.
And there’s more! Check it out https://www.successconsciousness.com/law-of-attraction-definitions.htm
Ah-Ha Moment: Guess what, you’re the only one who has full control over what you choose to think/believe. You are the only one who has the power to ‘switch on’ the good stuff for your mind and body by stopping the negative thought and replacing it with a positive thought.
Here are some examples to get you started:
- Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.
- Don’t be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
- Instead of worrying about what you can’t control, shift your energy to what you can create..
- Do what’s right, not what’s easy or popular.
- Make improvements, not excuses. Seek respect, not attention.
- Life isn’t perfect, but it sure is great.
- Every experience is just another important lesson.
- Being wrong is the next step to being right.
- Drama and judgment are a waste of perfect happiness.
Remember: Positivity attracts more positivity….grades, people, opportunities. Choose to make the switch today.
Note to Self: Smile more!!!